Online Dating Survey Results: Personal Stories

I asked respondents to share some personal stories in order to get an overall sense of online dating experiences. Stories shared were both positive and negative, reinforcing that online dating, just like traditional dating, has both good and bad outcomes.

"Met up with a guy whose photos were not of his own. He has to be more than 20 years older than the photos posted. I don't mind older men, but I do mind dishonesty."

"Like I said good! You still get alot of unwanted responses to your profile, but not any more than the "cat calls" you get from the random guys you run into out and about."

"I met my ex on a dating website. I fell for him fast and hard. I thought he was the one. We lived an hour and a half away so we did the long distance relationship for 9 months then I moved to his town. We were together for 3 years. He was absolutely amazing. Although it didn't work out because we wanted different things out of life. Since then I've been back on a dating website."

"I have had both- one of the worst was the guy totally misrepresented himself- looks and all. He had pictures up but did not display his negative attributes (didnt smile with his mouth open- ended up having very few teeth). He also was not a gentleman and was fairly rude. I still made it a good time, and just chalked it up to an experience. It was bad but it did not stop me from going on more dates."

"I met my boyfriend online, we have been dating for about 6 months and couldnt be happier. We talked online for a few weeks, then one night i just decided it was time to meet him and i drove to his house and called him and told him to come outside. We talked for over an hour in my truck and ended the night with a kiss, and from that moment I knew i would fall head over heals for him, and i was right. I am the happiest I have ever been and I know I will marry this man."

"In 2006 I went on an online date with a guy who stated he had a child and enjoyed going to the movies and we had alot in common...online! When we met at a restaurant, it came out that he did have a daughter who was 4 who he hadn't seen in 3 years. He was accepting calls from his friends talking about getting together to play Xbox (and this was three separate calls and separate friends) and it became incredibly clear that this guy was an immature gamer with no parental ambitions what so ever. I am married now to a man that I did not meet online and do not anticipate ever having to date again but if, by some reason, I was forced back into the dating scene, I would probably not consider online dating. With my daughter, it is just unsafe and you do not truly know who you may be bringing into your life. When you are single, it is just you to worry about. When you are a parent, you are instantly looking for positive people to mesh well with your children. You are taking a gamble online. Not saying that you couldn't encounter the same issues with dating in person but it is much easier to misrepresent yourself and/or your intentions online."

"A girl "found" me on a social networking site. Messaged one another back and forth, Messages turned into text, texts into phone calls, phone calls into meeting and dating, dating turned into a relationship...All in all it was a desperate situation turned worse and was a bad experience. I would consider it again but would not jump into as quick as the latter."


These are only a few personal stories, most of which discuss heavily the problem of misrepresentation online, but still highlight positive experiences despite this issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment